Tuesday 29 April 2008

Chicken

Stop. You have already decided what this note is about. I dare you to tell me otherwise. You have, and you know it. You are not different or unique in this conclusion jumping; everyone does it. We assume immediately that we are somehow in-the-know, that we have the answers and that we can instantly understand. Ha! Wrong. You are wrong. It’s all about context.

You thought that this was a note about chicken. Dear reader, I have misled you. Do you feel betrayed? Are you frustrated, confused, amused, bewildered? Are you mildly uncomfortable, sitting there in the awareness of your psychological exposure? I know you, because you are like me... I know how you think. I can read your actions... I can anticipate your thoughts. That's how I caught you. Yes, you have been caught in my trap.

This has been a lesson in assumption.

Be careful what conclusions you jump to. Be careful what you assume, what you expect, what you are looking for. Sometimes reality can take you by surprise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read chicken and thought about cowardliness and the sort of stupid simplicity of a chicken. Have you ever watched a group of chickens?

Jay

Nicole Ankenmann said...

My darling, you are crazy. I have, on occasion, had the opportunity to watch a flock of hens as they sheepishly dawdled around their pen around their rooster. Meaningless and limited wandering, without a care in the world. Oh, to go through life with that kind of simplicity. Cowardly, perhaps, but so blissful in their ignorance and naivete... What a wonderful world that would be...